Designer for Gifts and Children’s Books
About the opportunity
We are looking for an enthusiastic designer to join our in-house team and work primarily on gifts and games, but also on children’s books. As part of a passionate team, you will be working closely with our editors to bring products to life, with support from our art directors, while still being required to work independently and contribute your own creative ideas.
Your time will be split between working on gifts (which include adult and children’s games, card decks, puzzles and stationery) and some children’s books (illustrated non-fiction for a wide range of ages). You will develop your own design concepts and manage titles through the design process until they go into production, as well as helping to identify illustrators and photographers for new projects. While working on gifts, you’ll also have the fun opportunity to join regular game-testing evenings to help develop our games and test new ones on the market.
About Laurence King Publishing
‘Publishing is all about embracing risk. When discussing an idea for a potential new book, I do not try to predict its sales. Rather, I ask whether there is something exciting or useful about it that might capture the imagination of its intended market.’ – Laurence King
Established in London in 1991, Laurence King Publishing is now recognised as one of the world’s leading publishers of books and gifts on the creative arts. We work with some of the world’s best illustrators, designers, artists and photographers to create beautifully produced books and gifts which are acclaimed for their inventiveness, beautiful design and authoritative texts.
• Developing creative design concepts
• Producing high-quality layouts in Adobe InDesign
• Preparing and packaging files for production
• Helping to identify illustrators and photographers for new projects
• Editing artwork in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
• Checking proofs
A proven track record in illustrated publishing, packaging design, product design and working with illustrators would all be considered relevant experience.
• A portfolio showcasing exceptional creative work with outstanding results
• Graphic design qualification, degree or equivalent
• Experience in the design industry
• In-depth working knowledge of Adobe Creative suite
• Awareness of the gift and illustration markets and knowledge of children’s books would be an advantage
How to apply
Please send your CV, portfolio (PDF preferred) showcasing examples of relevant work that demonstrate you have the skills required for this position, and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line: Designer for Gifts and Children’s Books.